Wednesday 30 November 2011

Mission Statement

My name is Sid and I'm a Transform-aholic.  No, seriously, it's a disease.
See my leg?  This isn't normal.

Fortunately, not every disease has to be suffered in silence, and that's what this website is about.  This is my chance to vent at people who might be interested rather than the poor bastards who feign interest on Facebook.  This is my chance to exorcise the dark energon  demon within.  This is parasitic brain parasites, this is Remaining Men Together, this is generative bone disease, but for Transformers.  This is a self-help guide for the lost generation of children: our great war is a fictional one, our great depression is our Beast Machine toys.  Just call me Cornelius.  Okay, no.  Bollocks to all that.  This is just an excuse for me to showcase some of my toys and talk a bit of crap whilst I do it.

I have been collecting Transformers since their release in 1984, although many people will often argue that they didn't make it to these humble UK shores until 1985.  Whatever.  I was a kid, and my first Transformer was Optimus Prime.  Best First as the name implies.  Something changed in me that day, all the other toys lost some appeal.  A fire truck toy seemed like half a toy, an action figure seemed incomplete.  I raided other kids toy boxes looking for new Transformers that I hadn't seen, and could never understand why their Transformers were incomplete or damaged?

It was only as I got older that I realised that most people Mums are not quite as mental as mine.  Not only did we have to look after our toys, not only did we keep the boxes, not only were we restricted to collecting one toy line at a time (more on that later), but if we lost a piece then, boy, we're we in for it!  I remember buying Landmine sometime in 1988, not quite sure what a Pretender was, and for once in our intrigue we were allowed to open the figure in the car, before we got home!  Never again, somewhere on that journey, we lost the helmet.  When my mother found out the next day she was furious!  We hunted all over the house, in the car...everywhere (both places!).  When the search was un-fruitful we started to re-trace our steps, and lo and behold we found the helmet at the kerbside by McDonalds in town, it had fallen out the day before and somehow remained at roadside.  Wow,what a boring story to anyone who isn't myself or my brother, who seemingly Johnny Mnemonic'ed his entire childhood away to erase such painful memories.

Anyway, that's what you can expect from this blog, if it was any media released after 2005 it would be advertised as a cross between Sopranos and the topic it's discussing, and seeing as we'll occasionally be touching on over-bearing mother issues and familial disputes I think it's safe to say this site is like: "Sopranos meets Tomarts Action Figure Guide."
Some Grimlocks in a picture to break up all the words.


So what toys do I collect?  Mainly Transformers, although with the odd bit of MOTU (2002) and Thundercats (2011), but as they don't transform they'll rarely - if ever - get mentioned on here.  Expect to see the occasional Macross, Gundam or Brave, but always book-ended with Transformers.

What won't you see on this website?  Crazy variants or obscure Diaclone packaging.  This is also not a guide.  If you want a guide check out the great Unicron.com who list all Transformers toy releases year by year, I will occasionally reference that site, so it is worth checking out.  If you want detailed articles about variants or crazy pre-Transformers check out the always interesting Maz or the antiquated clunky Diaclone page.  Also, don't think you can ask me crap about Transformers, although I'm happy to talk bullshit about TF's for hours, and although it seems I have nothing better to do, if you want to know something you can probably find out about it by checking out here, or by joining and discussing shit here.

The idea is I will post my Transformers collection on here, and write a little bitabout the figure and any cool / boring little stories surrounding it.  Where I got it? Who from?  How much?  When?  Did I buy it because there was nothing else out even though I didn't like it?  Probably.  The idea is to start from 1984 and work up from there in order of release and wherever possible use photos of my own toys.

Thanks for reading, there will generally be a lot more pictures in future posts, I know I can get a bit wordy.

No comments:

Post a Comment